The funeral service will be conducted at 2:30 P.M., Sunday, December 1, 2013 at Saint Paul A.M.E. Church, Corner of Johnson and Russell Streets, Oglethorpe, Georgia. Interment will follow in the Oglethorpe City Cemetery, Oglethorpe, Georgia.
Mrs. Jossie Mae Williams Meadows, the second child born to the late Will Williams and Idella Huff Williams on April 25, 1918 in Ideal, Macon County, Georgia. Born in a family of fourteen siblings, she was preceded in death by her oldest sister, Hattie Bell Williams Hankerson; three babies also preceded her in death, Lessie, Jessie and Little Willie Henry Williams. Her grown up siblings who preceded her in death are Eloise Williams West, Elizabeth “Liz” Hicks, Homer Lee Williams, and Willie H. Williams.
Jossie acquired her education in the public school system of Macon County which included: Sunnydale, Pinehill and Ideal Negro School. Jossie grew up in the Hoover days where sugar, gas, and other items were rationed. She lived under sixteen presidents of the United States of America. She was able to vote for Barack Obama (the impossible dream that came true and is very much alive).
Jossie met the love of her life, M.C. Meadows, while attending school. At the age of 18, they were united in Holy matrimony. A new life for them had begun. They were blessed with seven boys and two girls. Three children preceded her in death, Jimmy, Gloria, and C. L. Meadows.
Jossie and her late husband, M. C. Meadows, worked hard, and together they bought property in Ideal, Georgia. Later in life, God blessed them with property in Oglethorpe, Georgia. During her lifetime, Jossie was a housewife, a farmer, a bus driver, and an employee of Southern Frozen Foods, Inc. In 1957, Jossie and her husband were the proprietors of Oglethorpe Funeral Chapel, Inc.
Growing up in the community of Ideal, Georgia, she acquired her Christian trainings at Shady Grove Baptist Church. At an early age, she joined the band of Christian believers at Shady Grove Baptist Church under the leadership of the late Reverend Stanback. For many dedicated years of service, she was the Mother of the Church. She also was a faithful singer in the Senior Choir. Knowing her duties as a wife and mother, she made sure her children received an education and Christian upbringing. We thank God for our Dear mother, for her legacy will be forever embedded in our hearts.
She leaves to cherish her memories seven devoted and loving children, Marie E. Meadows, Oglethorpe, Georgia, A. C. Meadows (Doris), Albany, Georgia, William C. Meadows (Joann), Atlanta, Georgia, Thomas E. Meadows (Lutherine), Oglethorpe, Georgia, Morris Meadows (Norma), Albany, Georgia, Gretha Meadows Perry (Freddie), Andersonville, Georgia, Lee Willie Meadows, Oglethorpe, Georgia, and Tammy Meadows Deja, Lithonia, Georgia; 29 grandchildren; 36 great grandchildren; five siblings, Sallie Anna Little, Beulah Griffin, both of Ideal, Georgia, Dessie Taylor, Atlanta, Georgia, Betty Duncan (Joe) and Ola Mae Turner, all of Ideal, Georgia; two sisters-in-law, Anna Meadows, Atlanta, Georgia and Earnestine Williams, Jacksonville, Florida; a host of nieces, nephews, including two devoted nieces, Lucille Harris, Macon, Georgia and Rose Fish, Stockbridge, Georgia; other relatives, including a devoted cousin, Lula Thompson, South Miami, Florida and friends including her extended family, Samuel McDonald & Family, Jacqueline Fulks & Family, Shontell English & Family, Viola Bailey & Family, Clara Williams & Family, Connie Fowler & Family, Rev. Coley Clark, Jr. & Family, Eddie Thomas & Family, Tracey Clemons & Family, Willie James Ogburn & Family, Clifton Aldridge & Family, Terresena Harpe & Family, Jimmy Harris & Family, Nealie Johnson & Family, Dr. Norman Carter & Family, Leroy Harris & Family, and Linda Merrell & Family.
- Rev. Clinton D. Aldridge, Jr. & Family(Sunday, December 08 13 04:25 pm EST)
You are in our prayers may God continue to Bless you
- Agnes Hosley Sumner(Saturday, December 07 13 09:30 pm EST)
RIP Cousin Jossie, To be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord.
- Gloria(Thursday, December 05 13 06:19 pm EST)
Proverbs 31: 10
- Gloria (Hicks) Netterville & Family(Tuesday, December 03 13 08:37 pm EST)
With Deepest Sympathy in your loss!
- Jerry D.Haugabook & Family(Tuesday, December 03 13 07:14 pm EST)
To the Family of the Late Mrs.Jossie Meadows
It will be the little things
that you will remember,
the quiet moments,
the smiles, the laughter.
And although it may seem
hard right now,
it will be the memories
of these little things
that help to push
away the pain
and bring the smiles
- Cynthia, Linda, Tierra, & Remous Raines, Jr. & family(Tuesday, December 03 13 04:08 pm EST)
Our thoughts and prayers are with your family. May God continue to be a comfort to you and bring strength in a time of need.
- Pat Brown(Tuesday, December 03 13 11:55 am EST)
I am soooo sorry for your loss. May Gods' love for you in the time of sorrrow keep you through this difficult time.
- The Stewart Family(Monday, December 02 13 11:32 pm EST)
With deepest sympathy. May God continue to give you strength during your time of sorrow. You family will be in our prayers.
- Elizabeth Shaw-Thomas(Monday, December 02 13 11:47 am EST)
Greta, I am so sorry for you lost. I just find out about Mrs. Meadows, You and your family have my deepest sympathy. She was a sweet lady.
- Mattie P. Sturdivant(Monday, December 02 13 11:00 am EST)
To the Meadows Family..
I've known the Meadows family since my childhood and every visit to their home was like being at home. Ma Jossie will certainly be missed. Life is but a stopping place, a pause in what's to be, a resting place along the road, to sweet eternity. My prayers goes out to the family.
Mattie Perkins Sturdivant & Family
- John & Annette Jones(Sunday, December 01 13 08:40 pm EST)
With Deepest Sympathy
- The Turner Family(Sunday, December 01 13 08:00 pm EST)
Our hearts go out to the family may god bless you and keep you.
- Adel Respert Sellers(Sunday, December 01 13 06:47 pm EST)
Our Prayers & Hearts goes out to the Meadows families. Just remember; God Blessed us with a wonderful Lady - she was many things to many people and we will all miss her very DEARLY.
- The Waltons and Vaughn's Family(Sunday, December 01 13 04:42 pm EST)
We are praying for your strength,in the Lord
- The Respert Family (formally) Ideal, Ga.(Sunday, December 01 13 02:14 pm EST)
To the Meadows Family:
Although no words can really help to ease the loss you bear, just know that you are very close in every thought and prayer. Although its difficult today to see beyond the sorrow, my looking back in memory help comfort you tomorrow. God Bless you.
- Gloria (Williams) Greene, Irvington, NJ(Sunday, December 01 13 01:12 pm EST)
To The Meadows Family.
"Death leaves a heartache no one steal,but Love leaves a memory no one can steal. Lean on your love,
memories, and faith to help
you through. God Bless.
- Anthony Gaines(Sunday, December 01 13 01:08 pm EST)
My prayers are with you and your family as you mourn the loss of your loved one. From the family of Katherine Melvin and the Late Henry Melvin.
- Daisy Duncan-Grant(Sunday, December 01 13 12:40 pm EST)
I had an opportunity a few years ago to meet Mrs. Jossie Williams Meadows. During such a fortunate meeting, we had an in-depth conversation at which time I realized that she and my mother (Clementine Ogburn Duncan) knew each other and were classmates in school. To this date, memories of that meeting have remained with me. She was quite resourceful and uplifting!
I am extending my sincere sympathy to Gretha and family in the loss of your Beloved Mother. My prayers and thoughts are with you and may you find comfort and strength in God during this difficult time.
Daisy Duncan Grant & Family
- Jonathan Hillman(Sunday, December 01 13 10:52 am EST)
May God continue to bless this family!!!
- Florene Ford Hunter(Sunday, December 01 13 10:42 am EST)
May God continue to Bless and strengthen The Family.
Much Love for her service to the community and world. And every life she touched. I thank God for HER.
- Thomas Beal and Family(Sunday, December 01 13 06:43 am EST)
At this time words may not ease the pain ands sorrows,mrs.Joise was such a kind and loverable person,we all will miss her so much i no she would want each and every one of us to continer her legecy. May God, Bless, Hold, each and every one of us, as long as mama joise. Love the Beal family Mntz. Warners R0bins.Ga.
- Pearlie Tookes Robinson(Sunday, December 01 13 02:46 am EST)
Words may not ease your pain or sorrow, but may you find comfort in knowing, that others care.
- LARRY D. & BETTIE P. HARVEY(Sunday, December 01 13 01:26 am EST)
WITH DEEPEST SYMPATHY FOR YOUR LOSS OF A GOOD MOTHER AND FRIEND TO ALL A TRUE SOLIDER TO THE END MAY GOD BLESS AND COMFORT THE MEADOWS FAMILY DURING THIS TIME. THE FAMILY OF LARRY D.(BETTIE) HARVEY HAS YOU ALL IN OUR PRAYERS.
- tharpe funeral home hawkinsville georgia(Sunday, December 01 13 01:04 am EST)
on the loss of your mother may you find comfort in your many memories of your mother and all she meant to you gretha and the meadows family with deepest sympathy tharpe funearl home and staff
- Bennie & Barbara Duncan and Family(Sunday, December 01 13 12:07 am EST)
With deepest sympathy for your loss. May your grief be comforted by family and friends during this time of sorrow.
- Brenda Canady(Saturday, November 30 13 11:34 pm EST)
You called me your girl, your baby in life....now I get to call you "MY Angel"....My heart is sad that you had to leave but I am comforted in knowing that yo are at rest. I will miss you, and I know you'll always be inn my heart. Thank you for believing in me and encouraging me during this walk of life.
With deepest sympathy and heart-felt Love,
- Shorana "Roni" Prather(Saturday, November 30 13 09:29 pm EST)
Our prayers and thoughts are with you during this difficult time. May you find comfort and strength in God.
- Joe & Gail White(Saturday, November 30 13 08:32 pm EST)
Your mom was a very special lady and loved by everyone who knew her. Please know that we share in your grief and extend our prayers and deepest sympathy to your family.
- William and Annie Nelson(Saturday, November 30 13 08:19 pm EST)
May God be with you in your hour of bereavement.Sorry for your loss
- Faustine Nelson(Saturday, November 30 13 08:03 pm EST)
Our prayers are with you. You are in our prayers. love The Nelson sisters Faustina and Jerelene.
- Carolyn Nelson Carson(Saturday, November 30 13 07:55 pm EST)
Our prayers are with your family. look to the hills from which cometh your help. May the lord be with your family during your time of bereavement. The Nelson Family
- The Pughs- Montgomery, AL(Saturday, November 30 13 07:04 pm EST)
May the Peace of our sweet Savior abide with you at this time.
- PATRICIA WALKER(Saturday, November 30 13 06:43 pm EST)
TO THE MEADOW'S FAMILY, YOUR MOM IS RESTING IN PEACE NO MORE PAIN AND SLEEPLESS NIGHT, REST ON MRS.JOSIE LOVE PATRICIA WALKER & FAMILY, ROBERT LEE,ANNIE MAE HILL & FAMILY, RAYMOND HILL & FAMILY AND EUGENE HILL & FAMILY
- SCOTTIEHILL(Saturday, November 30 13 05:30 pm EST)
YOUR FAMILY IS IN MY THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS.
- Leola Rogers Jones(Saturday, November 30 13 03:34 pm EST)
To the Meadows, Duncan, William and Griffin Family, my deepest & heartfelt Sympathy to you all, Sorry I can't be there with you all, Love u all. Love Leola Rogers Jones
- Doris Hinton-Powell Atlanta, GA(Saturday, November 30 13 03:21 pm EST)
Never stop believing that your faith, your inner strength, and the power of God's love with carry you through. In deepest sympathy
- GEORGIA WEST/FAMILY(Saturday, November 30 13 02:16 pm EST)
KEEP ALL IN MY PRAYERS, I REMEBER THE DAY IN GOD NAME I PRAY.
- Keiko Hart- Harp(Saturday, November 30 13 02:07 pm EST)
May God be with you all doing this time of lost in your family my prayers is with you all.
- julius shennett(Saturday, November 30 13 01:45 pm EST)
sorry to hear of the passing of your mother greather to you and you family wee or praying for you all in the lost of you mother the shennett family
- Ms.Betty Ingram(Saturday, November 30 13 11:16 am EST)
With Deepest Sympathy to the Meadows family.
- Dorothy & Lewis Felton - Perry, GA(Saturday, November 30 13 08:18 am EST)
To Gretha and family
We are sorry for the lost of your mother. May you find comfort in GOD durning this time.
- SARA CLEMONS(Friday, November 29 13 11:46 pm EST)
PLEASE ACCEPT MY DEEPEST SYMPATHY IN THE DEATH OF YOUR DEAR LOVED ONE.MY THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS ARE WITH YOU IN YOUR TIME OF GRIEF.MAY YOUR MEMORIES OF [MRS.JOSSIE]BRING YOU COMFORT.
- Larry & Marsha Johnson(Friday, November 29 13 11:23 pm EST)
Greta, our sincere sympathies and prayers go out to you and your family.
- Cathy Anderson(Friday, November 29 13 10:49 pm EST)
You have my sincere heartfelt sympathies.
- Rico Clark(Friday, November 29 13 07:36 pm EST)
Words cannot express my deepest symphanies for your family during your time of bereavement.
- Mr & Mrs. Woodrow Wilson--Chicago, IL.(Friday, November 29 13 07:24 pm EST)
With Sympathy--Sorry to hear about your loss you are in our prayer May God Bless. Greta & Family
- Mr & Mrs. Woodrow Wilson--Chicago, IL.(Friday, November 29 13 07:18 pm EST)
With Sympathy---May your heart be filled with warm thoughts and treasured moments of your dearly mother, May God Bless, Greta & Family
- Ms Daisy, Hampton, VA(Friday, November 29 13 06:49 pm EST)
Sugar has been in my life since I was 6 yrs old.RIP Sugar, I will definitely miss you. Sugar never stop giving me advice during time knowing her. Lee and I will be fine.
- Rosa Kendrick and The Perry Family(Friday, November 29 13 06:21 pm EST)
Sorry for your lost.My god bless your family
- Harold &Beulah Williams,Col.Ga.(Friday, November 29 13 04:59 pm EST)
To Greta and family sorry to hear of the loss of your mother. May all your warm memories ease the sorrow that you feel.
- GWENDOLYN JOHNSON(Friday, November 29 13 04:56 pm EST)
To Gretha and the Family
You all are in our thoughts and prayers. You have been there for us so much. Although we will miss her, she's with Jesus now. May the God of all comfort, keep you close as you walk this part of the journey. We Love you. Ron and Gwen Johnson, Joe,Morris and Eddie McHomes and family. God Bless You
- Christie&Walter Darity(Friday, November 29 13 02:09 pm EST)
With heartfelt sympathy to the family we being in yall shoes being knowing mom and yall all our life thankful for yall beinng there for us when we lost love ones it hurts for now its okay to mourn but joy comes in the morining.With all the loving memories of mom knowing that others care,that Jesus Christ loves you,may it help the family be comforted and blessed.
- Edith Washington(Friday, November 29 13 02:01 pm EST)
To the Meadows Family,
It is with a heavy heart that I extend my deepest condolences for your loss. Your family will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.
- Leonard Felton(Friday, November 29 13 12:30 pm EST)
To Greta and the entire family, my thoughts and prayers are with you as you celebrate the home going of your love one. May you find peace and comfort in God's love for you.
- sharon(Friday, November 29 13 11:28 am EST)
Evev though you are gone my memories of you live on you talk me well how to love god more you told me that the road would get hard before it get better i could always call you and talk to you about anything you said to me how hard get hold your head up and pray i will miss your smile i will nver for get you mama josie R.I.P my love til we met again CHINESE
- Eva Hart-Arnold Cleveland, Oh(Friday, November 29 13 12:53 am EST)
To Gretha and family, may your faith comfort you and may the Lord wrap you in His love and bring peace to your heart during this difficult time. My prayers are with you always.
- Pagie&Mae Belle Thomas(Thursday, November 28 13 11:46 pm EST)
May God hold you all in His loving Arms as you mourn the transition of your mother. May God bless and sustain you.
- Debra & Victor Johnson(Thursday, November 28 13 11:17 pm EST)
Tammy, our heart felt sympathy, please know you and your family are in our prayers.....
- Mariah Fowler(Thursday, November 28 13 08:30 pm EST)
With deepest Sympathy.
Curtis & Mariah Fowler
Rosie Jackson & Family
- Irene H. Reddick(Thursday, November 28 13 07:20 pm EST)
PROVERBS: 3, 5-6. Trust in GOD with all thine heart lead not on thy own understanding. acknowledge HIM in all thy ways and HE will direct thy path. Sorry for you lost. The Hill, Reddick Hayes Families, Andersonville, Atlanta, Albany, and Blakely Georgia.
- David & Melanie Thomas(Thursday, November 28 13 06:52 pm EST)
It is our sincere prayer that God will strengthen and comfort you at this time. RIP Ms. Jossie!
- Harrison Porter, Jr. and Children(Thursday, November 28 13 06:07 pm EST)
The Porter's and Graham family send a heartfelt love for you during the time of loss with Mrs. Josie. We all here in Buena Vista love your Family.
- The Hinton Family(Thursday, November 28 13 01:00 pm EST)
Our thoughts and prayers to the Meadows family during this time
- Anthony and Peggy West(Thursday, November 28 13 06:42 am EST)
Our prays and thoughts are with the Meadows Family. May God give you the peace and strength that heart desires.
- Otis and Vicki Alridge - Kent, WA(Thursday, November 28 13 12:09 am EST)
Our thoughts and prayers go out to the Meadows family at this time of great loss.
- Sherry Francine Oliver(Wednesday, November 27 13 10:42 pm EST)
With sympathy and prayers.
- Annie Williamson(Wednesday, November 27 13 10:26 pm EST)
Gretha...Our prayers are with you and your family. Paul & Annie Williamson
- Annette, Jeanette, Henry M. Duncan(Wednesday, November 27 13 07:27 pm EST)
I am sure you'll miss her. The very one who rocked you in the begining, needed you most in the end. You were ther with your tender heart and your steadfast loyalty, doing the right thing exactly the way she taught you to do.What a beautiful tributeto your mother. We are so sorry for your loss.
- Ida Mae Lampkins(Wednesday, November 27 13 01:29 pm EST)
Our Prayers are with the family.The Hart Family
- EDDIE L TURNER(Wednesday, November 27 13 11:39 am EST)
with deepest sympathy
- Martha Hardy(Wednesday, November 27 13 11:34 am EST)
Mrs. Gretha, I am so sorry to hear about the passing of your mother. I would like to extend my condolences and my prayers to you all. May God comfort and strengthen you & your family during this time.
- Joe Clark(Wednesday, November 27 13 10:24 am EST)
sorry for your lost be Blessed.
- Alexander Perkins(Wednesday, November 27 13 12:43 am EST)
To the family of the late Mrs. Josie Meadows you have my deepest sympathy I don't know the words that would explain how you feel but I know that Mrs. Josie will be missed by many.
- Elizabeth Holloway(Tuesday, November 26 13 09:44 pm EST)
As you go through this dark hour, know that God is an awesome God and he will see you through times such as this. You all in our prayers. With deepest sympathy, Ray & Elizabeth Holloway.